This Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping is almost too good to be true! Sugar free and gluten free, this high energy dessert is all the things a holiday dessert should be and more. Feel better about the treats you serve your family.
We’ve spent the past few weeks in Australia with my husband’s family. His family is not actually Australian. Born in London, my husband’s family moved to Zimbabwe when he was 7. He and his sister left for university and traveled the world looking for work afterwards. First, he ended up in Australia (for a short time), and shortly after, his sister and her husband moved there, and his parents finally left Zimbabwe and moved to Australia. No one wanted to return to the dreary England weather.
My husband’s parents love their sweets. It’s a bit of a junk-food fest when we visit. Every day, they’ll have afternoon tea with some sort of cake or cookie, and then just an hour or two later, happy hour with chips (“crisps” if your Aussie!) and drinks.
And boy did that grandma want to spoil Xander. The first day we were there, she kept saying, “I bought this for the baby, but I know you won’t let him have it.” Wanting to let her spoil him in her own way, we let him eat a cupcake, some gelato, vanilla ice cream, and a chocolate (after his happy hour chips, of course) the first day we were there. We tried to restrain her the rest of our time there, but towards the end of our trip, Xander would motion towards the freezer babbling his sweet baby talk whenever we went into the kitchen. Ice cream! He knew exactly where it was hiding.
I want to continue some of those traditions for my family, but in a healthier way- a way that’s more in line with my beliefs about health, nutrition, and food culture.
And serving lots of healthy, but either low sugar or sugar free, treats, is a part of those beliefs.
Food should be fun. It brings people together, and helps mold memories. But it also has an impact on how we feel, how we perform, and on our overall health as well.
I have been using dates for years now, and absolutely love them (Read about my initial feelings towards them here). Some of my favorite recipes are sweetened entirely with dates– Oatmeal Walnut Date Bars, Blissful Blueberry Breakfast Bars, No Bake German Chocolate Cookie Bars, and some of the truffles in my Valentine’s Truffle Box. Not to mention some of my favorite beverages- Caramel Mocha Concentrate, Coconut Mint Iced Mocha, and Iced Hazelnut Chai Latte.
Before Xander started eating things like honey and eggs, I made him Carrot Muffins from OhSheGlows, but subbed all the sugar in the recipe for pureed dates. It worked so well, I wondered why I hadn’t been using date paste for quick breads and muffins for years.
This cake is actually the result of my first attempt to make date bread without sugar– it was so sweet, and so delicious, I knew it needed to be made into Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping.
So. Dang. Good. No sugar needed.
Tips for the Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping
- For the best results (and easiest processing), both the cake and the caramel topping can be made in a Vitamix or other high speed blender. I did test this in a normal blender. The cake worked fine in the blender, although it took a little more time. The caramel topping didn’t work in a regular blender, but it worked fine in my food processor.
- Make it Ahead: The whole thing can be put together and frozen. Wrap it in plastic wrap (the pecans will help the wrap from sticking to the “caramel”), and then put in a freezer bag or container, and it should be fine for a month or two. We will see! I’ve made 3 this week, so one is going in the freezer for later.
- Make it Dairy Free: Sub the yogurt for coconut yogurt, or just use 3/4 cup hot water in place. I did test this with all water, and the difference between the two was very subtle.
Nutritional data for Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping and nutrition facts images courtesy of www.NutritionData.com.
Other Fruit Sweetened Dessert Recipes:
- Paleo Apple Crisp, by Paleoaholic
- Paleo Banana Snack Cake, by Detoxinista
- Banana Bread Date Bars, by Healthy Happy Mama
- Oatmeal Walnut Date Bars, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Double Pumpkin Pie Muffins, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.