This 24 Carat Gold Smoothie is packed with powerful anti inflammatory ingredients – ginger, turmeric, and coconut milk. This is the tastiest way to feed a cold and boost your immunity, but is good at fending off and even reversing many health issues.
I always think of cold season as only being relevant in temperate climates, where it gets cold. But here we are in Malaysia, the tropics, and colds are spreading just as quickly as back home.
Xander and lots of his little friends from our play ground all have colds, and now I have one too.
Smoothies and green juices to the rescue!
And when illness hits, I double down. The low carb movement has so many people afraid to eat fruit, but the fiber and nutrients in fruit are more than worth the sugar content. They are far from being empty calories.
This 24 Carat Gold Smoothie packs in 173% of your daily Vitamin C requirement — which aids the immune system — and 8 grams of fiber — which is 1/3 of your daily requirement. All at breakfast. Or your mid-afternoon snack. Or dessert (I can’t be the only one who thinks smoothies are dessert worthy!).
The Buzz on Turmeric
Studies claim turmeric is more powerful than some prescription drugs at treating and even reversing diseases. It’s main compound, curcumin, has been found a powerful treatment for a wide range of illnesses- from depression, to irritable bowels, to arthritis and diabetes. It’s also a powerful pain reliever, and has proven effective in reversing cancer.
It’s super tasty mixed into curries, smoothies, and marinades, so it’s easy to work into your diet. If you make only 1 small change in your diet this year, I recommend finding ways to incorporate turmeric daily.
Both powdered spices and the fresh variety work, but if you can find fresh turmeric, it has the most active compounds.
Tips for 24 Carat Gold Smoothie
- Start with a small amount of ginger and turmeric, and then add more to taste. When I first starting mixing turmeric into juices and smoothies, I used way too much and was really put off. A little bit goes a long way! Plus, after you get used to the taste, you can start adding more.
- Increase the Protein: Add some of your favorite unflavored, clean protein powder. I love Bichem Natural Whey Protein Isolate. It’s grassfed, high quality, and tastes great.
- For the Family: This is a great family-friendly smoothie. I sneak in some greens using frozen zucchini, which doesn’t add a green color so is easy to hide. I made my son’s first smoothie using a smaller amount of turmeric and ginger, but he was drinking mine that was pretty spicy, so now I make his the same as mine.
Nutritional data for 24 Carat Gold Smoothie and images courtesy of www.NutritionData.com.
Other Anti Inflammatory Turmeric Recipes:
- Miso Turmeric Dressing, by Simply Fresh Dinners
- Turmeric Golden Milk Tropical Smoothie, by Cotter Crunch
- Turmeric and Coconut Butternut Squash Bisque, by Emily Kyle Nutrition
- Lightened up Chicken Tikka Masala with Turmeric Cauliflower Rice, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.